Re: Lost oracle database but have the datafiles

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:29:12 +1100

Kev,

Your post is not entirely clear... Do you have the datafiles as your post title suggests, or do you merely have an export file as your post contents suggests?

If you have the datafiles themselves, do you have a control file as well? And do you have archives? Because if that's all true, then you can perform a standard incomplete recovery and get all your data back, except for the last little bit that was in the current online redo log.

If all you've got is the export file, then you'll have to create a brand new database from scratch, and run import to get the data back as it was at the time you took the export. The easiest way to proceed in that eventuality would be to manually create all the right tablespaces (and users), and then leave import to create all the tables, indexes and so on, and populate them.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com