REPOST: Re: INTERNAL, SYS, SYSTEM system users

From: Sybrand Bakker <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 22:09:20 +0100

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 20:11:39 +0100, "Stjepan Brbot" <Stjepan.Brbot_at_ZG.HiNet.HR> wrote:

>"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
>> One minor correction from a terminology perspective. INTERNAL was
>> deprecated in Oracle8 and is gone entirely in Oracle9. "Deprecated"
>is
>> Oracle-speak for "we're going to get rid of this soon".
>
>Does it mean that Oracle also concluded that there's confusion for many
>people and there's no need for existence of INTERNAL account?
>
>Is INTERNAL only "internal" reference on SYS acc because when one change
>password of SYS, this automatically becomes new password for INTERNAL
>acc?

the SYS password is checked against the datadictionary, the INTERNAL user is not checked against the dictionary. It is a means to access the database when the database is down. You will mainly use internal for maintenance purposes, during maintenance the database can't be up, so the SYS password can't be checked.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

This message was cancelled from within Mozilla...not Received on Sat Dec 29 2001 - 15:09:20 CST