Re: Online Backup Doubt

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:01:03 +1100

Comments below
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"Augustine Joseph" <kunjaathi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> 1) For online backup is it mandatory that the 'backup controlfile' be
> executed at the end of the backup process. I mean after all the
> tablespacess are backed up.

Nothing is "mandatory". It's up to you whether you want a backup of your control file -which happens to be just as an intrinsic part of your database as the datafile/tablespaces you've carefully backed up. Commonsense would suggest that you *should* take a backup of it, though whther that's a binary backup or atrace file backup is more open to discussion. Personally, I'd recommend nightly trace file backups and weekly binary ones. The point being is that the trace file version is an extremely easy way of recovering from total controlfile loss, but the binary version is useful if a tablespace ever gets dropped.
> 2) I've this statement in my unix script(Solaris)
>
> Alter tablespace AJAPP begin backup;
> host`cp /u01/datafiles/db/aj.dbf /bkp/datafiles/aj/aj.dbf`
> Alter tablespace AJAPP end backup;
>
> does the oracle waits the copy to be completed before proceeds with
> the 'alter' statement.
I rather think it depends on Unix. Al I can tell you is that, on Windows 2000, if you have a SQL script containing the lines... alter tablespace system begin backup; host copy d:\oracle\oradata\db2\system01.dbf d:\backup1.dbf alter tablespace system end backup; ...then SQL Plus performs the actions synchronously, waiting for each one to finish before moving on to the next (meaning the backup is useful and valid). I can't comment as to whether Solaris works the same way -though it's not difficult to knock up a three-line script and then run it within SQL Plus and watch to see what happens. If this is a *shell* script you're running, and not a SQL script, someone who knows the O/S will have to comment.
>I'm getting invalid online backup. My doubt is
> here.

I'd be interested to know how you *know* the backup is invalid. Regards HJR