Re: (more) Given the choice: hot or cold?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 29 Dec 2001 09:01:22 -0800

In article <oSaX7.2057$ju5.445105_at_news.uswest.net>, dsmcd says...

>>You will not be able to do a point in time recovery from an o/s-level
>>(ie,
>>cold) backup. There would be no point. It doesn't make sense.
>
>Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am duplexing my archived redo logs. One set is
>on a different pair of mirrored drives than where the tablespaces live.
>Same for the control files. *Assuming* a failure between backups, and
>*assuming* I could retrieve one good set of redo logs and a good
>control file, I should be able to restore the tablespaces from cold
>backup and then use the good control file and running the good redo
>logs from that point forward, getting me to the point of failure.
>Correct?

yes.
as long as you are in archive log mode and have all of the logs since the last backup. It is a good practice indeed to keep at LEAST two or three backups and all needed logs.

>>Archivelog mode is critical (required) for a hot-backup, so I would
>>say that
>>they do, in fact, come into play.
>
>Yes, archivelog mode is required for hot, but does not rule out cold,
>correct?

correct -- but doing HOT is not any harder then cold really (for some reason it "sounds scarier" to people but its not). You need to go through the same steps during a recovery regardless of hot or cold.