REPOST: Re: Async I/O is NOT supppressed for filesystem datafiles in 8.1.5?

From: Paul Fagan <paulfagan_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:47:20 +0000

Hi El and everyone,

If it helps I am running Oracle 8.1.6.1.0 64 bit for Sun Sparc Solaris version 8 on sun E450 s node cluster. I have an F760c Netapp filer cluster. I am going via NFS version 3, udp, hard mounts, rsize, wsize - Veritas cluster controlled mounts. We are using Fast Ethernet full-duplex but should really be using Gigabit Ethernet - I have warned my seniors why we should use this. See below for an example of a mount point settings : -

hard,intr,suid,proto=udp,nfs=ver3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,remote,read,write,

I did have problems before reading and following the Netapp website white papers. Specifically, I think disk_asynch_io = false. Without this set I did have many problems, e.g. with tablespace creations. Now the datbase's are fine, allthough I have warned of NFS fast ethernet as above.

I set my init.ora parameters as below : -

# below disk_asynch_io = false changed by Paul Fagan 29/10/2001 disk_asynch_io = false
# below disk_asynch_io = false changed by Paul Fagan 29/10/2001 # db_writer_processes should be 2 X No. of CPU's db_writer_processes = 8
# below disk_asynch_io = false changed by Paul Fagan 29/10/2001 # db_block_lru_latches should be a multiple of db_writer_processes db_block_lru_latches = 8
hash_multiblock_io_count = 1

I hope this helps and do read the Netapp white papers, www.netapp.com - go to the library link and pull off the Oracle ones.......

I applogise if this post is stuff you know allready.

Paul.

In article <1009535229.11087.0.nnrp-10.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>, "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Isn't the giveaway here the 'NFS'.
>
> You are not supposed to run Oracle to NFS mounted files. At least it
> used to be the case that the documentation
> stated explicitly that using Oracle on NFS was not supported.
>

> --
> Jonathan Lewis
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> Now running 3-day intensive seminars
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
>
> Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ
>

> El Toro wrote in message
> <2e1cd2b.0112272350.11c9fb47_at_posting.google.com>...
>>I've read both Metalink and Sun Blueprint documents that read how Oracle
>>8.1.5 and 8.1.6 will NOT use AIO on filesystem datafiles. It runs
>>'fstat()' to determine if the files are on filesystems, and acts
>>accordingly (according to Oracle and Sun). Therefore, turning AIO on
>>via 'disk_asynch_io=true' on such databases is futile, based on these
>>two sources.
>>
>>However, I have 8.1.5 running on NFS *filesystems* from NetApps, and
>>they are, in fact, using AIO. I've verified this by running a 'truss'
>>on the DBWR process, noticing all the LWP processes spawned to perform
>>the user-level library AIO after a failed 'kaio()' call (tell-tale signs
>>of AIO). The OS is Solaris 2.6 - 2.8, by the way.
>>
>>So, what's the deal? Does Oracle 8.1.5 and .6 use AIO on filesystems or
>>not? When is it that Oracle suppresses AIO on filesystems? I gotta
>>save face here in front of my team members to whom I insisted that
>>Oracle did away with filesystem AIO on filesystems. Please respond
>>quickly, as I have a team meeting about this issue tomorrow.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

This message was cancelled from within Mozilla...not Received on Fri Dec 28 2001 - 05:47:20 CST