Re: Async I/O is NOT supppressed for filesystem datafiles in 8.1.5?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:19:46 -0000

Can you clarify your problem:
You say

    >You're misunderstanding.  I'm very well versed in
    >the difference between kernel aio and filesystem
    >aio on Solaris.  In my case, DBWR is using the
    >latter against my datafiles.

But you also say

    >So, why is my instance still trying to use it?

Are you complaining because your system IS using aync I/O, or because your system is TRYING to use Async I/O ?

A couple of ideas that may help:

  1. The manuals are not always correct
  2. The analysts who answer questions on Metalink often do so after reading the manuals
  3. You have the system in front of you - if you can see that the system is contradicting the manual and the analyst, then the manual is wrong.
  4. If you want confirmation of your interpretation of what you are seeing, then it should be pretty easy to post the truss output that has convinced you.

Thank you for pointing out my error regarding NFS, and the NetApps, and more thanks to Paul Fagan for posting a useful URL.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Now running 3-day intensive seminars

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of: