Re: Oracle client and networking components were not found.

From: Sybrand Bakker <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 07:23:52 +0100

On 27 Dec 2001 20:48:33 -0800, ashish_tak_at_Hotmail.com (Ashish Patel) wrote:

>Hi All.
>
>I'm having problem connecting to the Oracle database through ASP(VB
>Script) webpage. I'm using ADODB to connect to the oracle. But while
>I'm attempting to open the connection I'm getting following error.
>Please note that even while I get that error I'm still be able to
>connect to the Oracle using its client in my machine and using MS
>Acces(Version - XP).
>
>If any one thinks they can help me please email me or post your
>messeage here. I appreciate all your comments.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Ashish
>
><B>
>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle (0x80004005)
>Oracle client and networking components were not found. These
>components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the
>Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation. Provider
>is unable to function until these components are installed.</b>

Your problem is you are using the Microsoft driver and probably in a way old version, which is incompatible with newerv versions of Oracle. The Microsoft driver is a driver for 7.3.3 and it has the name of the central Oracle dll (orawin73.dll) hardcoded. That dll doesn't exist anymore in newer versions of Oracle.
Either you need to use a recent version of the Oracle Ole DB provider (downloadable at http://technet.oracle.com for free) or you need to upgrade the Microsoft Oledb provider)

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Dec 28 2001 - 00:23:52 CST