REPOST: Re: Oradim.exe & shutdown

From: Sybrand Bakker <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 23:12:07 +0100

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:46:46 GMT, dsmcd <dsmcd_at_uswestmail.net> wrote:

>Hello...
>
>I have a script to shutdown the instance:
>d:\...\oradim73.exe -shutdown -sid SCRATCH -usrpwd oracle -shuttype
>srvc,inst -shutmode i
>
>When the instance is shutdown using it, I can't connect as Internal
>using DBA Studio. I'm assuming this is because the -shuttype includes
>srvc. Is this correct? If so, I wonder why in my services, the
>OracleServiceSCRATCH is listed as started, and all other service
>running before the shutdown are still running.
>
>Another question: Will this script allow me to do a proper and complete
>cold backup?
>
>Any info would be appreciated. Oracle 817 on Win2kServ-SP2
>
>Thx,
>D.

I'm not sure why you are using the Oracle 7.3 oradim to shutdown a 8.1.7 database. That might easily explain why the service is still listed as started. You need to use the oradim from your %ORACLE_HOME%\bin where ORACLE_HOME is the home for 8i. Shutting down the instance alone would have resulted in the message 'connected to an idle instance'
Provided you use the correct oradim, this could will allow you to do a proper cold backup.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

This message was cancelled from within Mozilla...not Received on Thu Dec 27 2001 - 16:12:07 CST