REPOST: Re: Oradim.exe & shutdown (revised)

From: dsmcd <dsmcd_at_uswestmail.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 23:38:00 GMT

>I'm not sure why you are using the Oracle 7.3 oradim to shutdown a
>8.1.7 database. That might easily explain why the service is still
>listed as started. You need to use the oradim from your
>%ORACLE_HOME%\bin where ORACLE_HOME is the home for 8i.
>Shutting down the instance alone would have resulted in the message
>'connected to an idle instance'
>Provided you use the correct oradim, this could will allow you to do a
>proper cold backup.
>
>Hth
>

>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
>To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

Sorry about that. Confused my scripts. Here's the actual script: d:\...\oradim.exe -shutdown -sid SCRATCH -usrpwd oracle -shuttype inst -shutmode i

Notice the oradim is correct and the -shuttype does not include srvc (so the question regarding started services is resolved). The other trouble -- that I can't connect with DBA Studio after shutting down the instance with this script -- still holds true.

btw...Do I need to shutdown srvc to get a proper cold boot.

Ugh..now that I've totally muddied the waters of my question I wonder if this will ever get resolved ;o)

Thx,
D.

This message was cancelled from within Mozilla...not Received on Thu Dec 27 2001 - 17:38:00 CST