REPOST: Re: Newbie - Starting up Oracle in Linux

From: Sybrand Bakker <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 19:15:29 +0100

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 09:17:39 -0500, Bill Bell <billb_at_ti.com> wrote:

>Need help starting up server.
>
>I am using Oracle8i for Linux Starter Kit book. I am trying to get familiar
>with Oracle.
>
>After several attempt I just finished installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Mandrake 8.1.
> Sqlplus was running and I was able to do some queries. I shut down the
>computer and I started it up again and Oracle did not start up. The book says
>the way to start it up is to log in to sqlplus as
>
>sys/oracle as sysdba
>
>and issue the command
>
>STARTUP OPEN
>
>The syntax 'sys/oracle as sysdba' does not appear to be correct.
>
>What is the proper procedure to startup the server? Thanks...

Please *always* post *exact* error messages. The syntax *is* correct provided it is quoted , or the sysdba password for sys hasn't been set to oracle.
Other than that
sqlplus/nolog
connect / as sysdba
should always work .

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

This message was cancelled from within Mozilla...not Received on Thu Dec 27 2001 - 12:15:29 CST