Unusual jrew Issue?

From: Mark M <OracleQuestion_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Dec 2001 07:19:19 -0800

Hello All,

   I've been working with Oracle for several years now and feel kind of stupid making this post, but I am having a somewhat unusual issue trying to install the Oracle client software on some Windows 2000 desktop machines. Basically, each time I try to launch the Universal Installer from the 8.1.7 media, I notice that the process "jrew"
(assumingly the Java Runtime Environment for Windows) starts to run,
but then dies within a few seconds (and the UI never starts). I have tried using different media, different desktop computers (all Dell Optiplex GX240's), but continue to have the same issue. In doing some research I found that the latest JVM (build 3802) from Microsoft is included with the Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, which I have on the machines I have been trying to install on; but still with no luck. I have even formatted a machine and installed Windows 2000 from scratch
(making a 'clean install') but still have the same issue. I've also
tried running the UI from a Windows 98 installation on the same type of machine to no avail. The same media has no problem launching the UI from a different type of machine (a Dell Server) so I am sure the media is good.

   Have any of you ever come across any unusual computer-model-specific install issues for the Universal Installer? I am thinking that perhaps it could possibly be some type of driver conflict that is specific to this model of desktop...

   Any info, theories, insight, or educated guesses appreciated. Thanks.

--
Mark M.