Re: oracle8i external log possible?

From: Stjepan Brbot <Stjepan.Brbot_at_ZG.HiNet.HR>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 04:33:22 +0100

"Yaw" <yawi_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:9gtW7.14467$wD1.82553_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> My question is with Oracle8i. I have downloaded the Oracle8i Personal
> Edition from the Oracle website, and have just successfully setup
Oracle so
> that I can log on to SQL*Plus remotely on my home LAN. However, now I
am
> interested to expand that. So that I can log on to SQL*Plus from
another
> network, say my next door neighbour, connecting through a different
ISP.

> My questions are as follows:
> 1. Is such a setup possible? If so, where do you think I can find
the
> documentation to help me. As so far, I've been quite unsuccessful.
>
> 2. Would the above setup ever work where: The machineA is the machine
with
> Windows2000 with internet connection sharing turned on. MachineB
contains
> Oracle8i server, which connects via the internet through machineA.
If so,
> is "port forwarding" part of the solution?

This is possible but it's not a question about Oracle. This question is about networking. You and your friend have to create Virtual Private Network VPN (i.e. using Microsoft's PPTP) to connect to each other across Internet (each connecting on Interenet through different ISP).

--

Stjepan Brbot <Stjepan.Brbot_at_ZG.HiNet.HR>