oracle8i external log possible?

From: Yaw <yawi_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 23:43:01 GMT

My question is with Oracle8i. I have downloaded the Oracle8i Personal Edition from the Oracle website, and have just successfully setup Oracle so that I can log on to SQL*Plus remotely on my home LAN. However, now I am interested to expand that. So that I can log on to SQL*Plus from another network, say my next door neighbour, connecting through a different ISP.

My questions are as follows:
1. Is such a setup possible? If so, where do you think I can find the documentation to help me. As so far, I've been quite unsuccessful.

2. Would the above setup ever work where: The machineA is the machine with Windows2000 with internet connection sharing turned on. MachineB contains Oracle8i server, which connects via the internet through machineA. If so, is "port forwarding" part of the solution?

Thanks for your help to this query.

Yaw Received on Wed Dec 26 2001 - 17:43:01 CST