Re: creating a 9i database in 8.1 compatibility mode

From: Chris S <cschofie_at_nospam.slip.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 23:16:14 GMT

The fundamental problem is that I'm getting ... yes, the very helpful ... ORA-03113 error when the client tries to connect in sqlplus.

This same client can connect to an 8i database no problem (all using tcpip). This client IS an old, VAX/VMS client and I only have limited knowledge of the OS. I tried client-side tracing, but got very little out of it. I confirmed that the client is reading the tnsnames.ora I thought it was. protocol is tcp, port is standard 1521.

The listener trace on the server suggests the connection is going through just fine (I see 'established' in the listener trace)

The version of sqlplus on the client is ancient - 3.1.3.5.1. I know that upgrading this should be the first order of business (actually, junking the micro-vax would be the first order of business, but that's a whole other topic) but my hands are tied on that.

So I'd love it if people in the group had ideas as to what may cause this; but I don't feel I can present enough useful info at this point about the problem to reasonably ask for help!

Thanks, Chris