Re: Newbie learning Oracle

From: Liz Reen <lizr_at_geologist.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 13:12:10 -0800

In article <a078qq$ahh$1_at_slb4.atl.mindspring.net>, kistners_at_davesworld.net says...
> I need advice. I'd like to eventually be an Oracle DBA. I've taken two
> basic classes so far -- Oracle8i Fundamentals I and II. These were classes
> through ElementK learning (it's on line training). At work I'm allowed to
> work a bit with an 8i database a bit with SQL, PL/SQL, Discoverer, but
> that's about it. Primarily I work with MS Access for database tasks. I'm
> planning on taking PL/SQL classes from ElementK in hopes of passing the
> certification tests for 9i over the next year.

Sounds like you are on a programmers track not a DBA's. There is much much more to being a DBA than sql and pl/sql. You need to take a DBA course, backup and recovery course, and a performance course.

> I have 3 questions:
>
> 1. What books would you recommend to help me learn 9i?

Start with the basics which are version independent. You probably can get some 8i books on sale. The basics remain the same. Learn them and then worry about 9i.

> 2. Is online learning at ElementK and working through books enough to
> prepare for these tests?

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not familiar with ElementK, so I can't comment. My gut reaction would be probably not. Hands on experience is required.

> 3. Is there something "out there" that is better online learning -- and
> still somewhat affordable?

Check with your local colleges and universities. Some of them offer Oracle courses. Also check with your local unemployment office, they are a great source for training info.

> The Oracle guys at work are very decent people but also extremely busy. I
> thought that as I learn more about Oracle I might ask if there are some
> tasks they might allow me to help them with so that I can learn more "hands
> on" stuff.

You can ask, but they may not have the time. Trainign some one is time consuming. They can probably do it in half the time it will take to explain it to you. There may be some repetitive tasks, which might be worth their teaching you. Get some DBA training and they will be more interested in you. Install Oracle on your own pc, create a database, connect it to your Acess db using ODBC, transfer data between the two. Doint that will teach you quite a bit.

Good Luck,

Liz Received on Mon Dec 24 2001 - 15:12:10 CST