Re: Oracle Call Interface

From: Uwe Schneider <uwe_at_richard-schneider.de>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 15:31:04 +0100

Mumtaz Zaheer wrote:

> I dont know if this is the group I am looking for. But anyway, does
> OCI support Backup and Recovery? Is there anyway to do that using OCI?
>
> Please do consider me new to Databases, and I have just been asked to
> make an application that work on Windows platform for backup and
> recovery purpose.
>
> As I am new to database administration, I saw two ways of taking
> backup one is Hot and Cold backup and other using Export and Import
> utilities. As I am going to take backup from my application, I will
> either use ODBC, ADO or OCI for that purpose. I am also looking for
> results that Backup command or query generates so that I can tell my
> user about that If some error occurs.

OCI and the other abbreviations are just client APIs for interaction with the RDBMS. They don't care about backup/recovery or export/import.

I'd suggest reading th Oracle documentation about backup/recovery and administration to get a clearer understanding.

Uwe

--
Uwe Schneider       | Telefon +49 7244 / 609504
Haydnstr. 1         | Mail    uwe_at_richard-schneider.de