Re: ARCH Process hangs & won't restart

From: Sybrand Bakker <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 09:52:54 +0100

On 22 Dec 2001 10:40:50 -0800, rspeaker_at_yahoo.com (Roy) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>we are running 8.1.7.2 64-bit on AIX 4.3.3. We had a situation where
>the archive log directory hit 100% full at 17:30. We freed up space
>by 18:15. Since we have 24 x 240 MB redo logs, we didn't even wrap
>back around and try to overwrite the unarchived logs until 21:00.
>Even though we freed enough disk space long before then, ARCH appears
>to never have resumed copying the online logs to the arch destination,
>so of course, the database hung. We tried to issue an alter system
>switch logfile, hoping it would "jump start" the ARCH process but it
>hung too. We had to bounce the database to get it to start working
>again. We were able to duplicate the error at will on an NT4 system
>running 8.1.7.0. I can't find any mention of this a as a "bug" on
>Metalink. Anyone have any similar experiences or run across any tech
>notes on Metalink about this?
>
>Thanks.

archive log start
archive log all
will restart the archiving
alter system switch logfile does just what is says to do. There should be no need to bounce the database.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Dec 23 2001 - 02:52:54 CST