Repost: Java link problem

From: FredM <fredmotta_at_centurytel.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 13:40:59 -0800

I'm posting again. If you know the answer to this, please post. Thank you.

Original post:
I'm trying to install Oracle8i on Linux (Mandrake 8.1) and after several days, I'm starting to see some progress, but just barely. I do mean BARELY. I picked up the Macmillan (publisher) package at a half price bookstore and thought this was going to be a breeze. The install documentation is fair, and probably makes sense to experience Linux users. I'm just not there yet.

Well, here's what I've done so far:
- As root, set up mount points for software: /Oracle/u01; for databse:
/Oracle/u02.
- Created a 'dba' group.

And now, here's where I'm getting hung-up. The installation instructions say to create a symbolic link to the jre as in '/usr/local/jre' to 'installed_path_of_jre/jre_116_v5' assuming that the downloaded version of jre is named 'jre_116_v5'. Okay, so what does this mean? Make a symbolic link to the 'java' symbolic link? Make a link to folder '/usr/jre'? '/usr/jre/bin'? And does it say WHERE to put that link? NO! So, I experiment... alot. I do variations of the following which seems to be as close to these instructions as I can think of: 'ln -s /usr/jre/bin/java /usr/local/jre'. And this is what I get under the 'oracle' user after mounting '/mnt/cdrom' and running ./runInstaller:

# This is my java test:
[oracle_at_nebula cdrom]$ java -version
java version "1.2.2"
Classic VM (build Linux_JDK_1.2.2_RC4, native threads, sunwjit)

# This is what's on the cdrom:
[oracle_at_nebula cdrom]$ ls
BonusChapter/ Examples/ install/ relnote.pdf runInstaller* Translations/
doc/ index.htm relnote.htm rr_moved/ stage/

# Here's where I run the installer:
[oracle_at_nebula cdrom]$ ./runInstaller
Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /usr/local/jre/bin/jre. Please wait...
Error in CreateOUIProcess(): -1
: No such file or directory

That line [blah, blah, blah.."from /usr/local/jre/bin/jre."] just doesn't make sense to me. The '../bin/jre' part of that message suggests that the 'java' link in '/usr/jre/bin' should be renamed as 'jre', but that's nuts! So, what's the answer?

FredM Received on Sat Dec 22 2001 - 15:40:59 CST