Re: urgent : problem with oracle 8i running on red hat lunix ver7.2

From: Uwe Schneider <uwe_at_richard-schneider.de>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:08:18 +0100

dina wrote:

> hi,
>
> I run an oracle 8.1.7 server running on red hat lunix 7.2. if i
> attempt to connect as internal, sys or sytem , i get an error
> ORA-03113 "end-of-file on communication channel". in fact i can't
> start any shadow process, the same error occurs again and again. i
> will be grateful, if someone can help me out of this problem.

ORA 3113 ususlly means that the shadow process has crashed. Try to find out, why by inspecting the trace files in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<SID>/{bdump,udump}.

BTW: Is RH 7.2 really certified for Oracle 8.1.7? The listener must not crash on SIGSEGV during startup...

> ---
>
> The listener shows the following error during startup: exception 11
> (sigsegv) ksedmp internal or fatal error at startup, yet it seems to
> listen " LTCA has 1 service handler"
>
> The network/log/sqlnet.ora contains the follwoing error message:
> "Fatal NI connect error 12537 connecting to
> (DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCAL=beq)))
>
> What is Protocol = beq, anyway ?

From the technet:

The Bequeath protocol enables clients that exist on the same machine as the server to retrieve information from the database without using the listener. The Bequeath protocol internally spawns a dedicated server process for each client applications. In a sense, it does the same operation that a remote network listener does for your connection, yet locally.

Bequeath is used for local connections where an Oracle client application, such as SQL*Plus, communicates with an Oracle server running on the same machine

RTFM! Uwe

--
Uwe Schneider       | Telefon +49 7244 / 609504
Haydnstr. 1         | Mail    uwe_at_richard-schneider.de