8.1.7 - Can't connect to service name, can connect to SID

From: John Bossert <jbossert_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 06:26:37 GMT

Trying to learn the ins and outs of the 8.1.7 "service name" mechanism... This is on Win2K Pro.

I have set up a database "test.foo.com" with a SID of "test" - all pretty vanilla, using the Net8 assistant. I can tnsping "test" and connect without problem as "scott/tiger_at_test".

However, if I try these operations with "test.foo.com", I get "TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name"

I see nothing in the trace or log files. Anybody experienced (and solved) this? TIA.

--
John Bossert

In what concerns you much, do not think that you
have companions: know that you are alone in the world.

             -- Henry David Thoreau