Re: How can I troubleshoot without informations ?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 20 Dec 2001 06:23:33 -0800

pagesflames_at_usa.net (Dusan Bolek) wrote in message

Some new info is available. We tried to reproduce error with logging turned on yesterday. We used test program which logs in database in specified number of sessions and runs some extensive selects. We've established a new record, 952 concurrent users. Buffers were set very low, just 75000 with 4096 as db_block_size, so only 292 MB. We had great hit ratio and (of course) waits were terrible. After we reached 952 users and trying to get 953rd in database, we've got ORA-12500 errors. The listener log looks like this:

(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=xxxx)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\ts\orasessiontest.exe)(HOST=xxxxxxxxx)(USER=xxxxx))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=000.000.000.000)(PORT=xxxx)) * establish * xxxx * 12500
TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process  TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
  TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error

note: that xxxxs and strange IP address is my work. Originally has been supplied correct SID, HOST and IP address.

At that time Oracle server aquired the most memory - 712,777,728 bytes. I think that we hit some internal NT limit for user processes. I want to run another test, changing number of buffers and analyzing impact of this change on number of users. However, there is problem that this server is productional and in 24x7 mode. So we must take care about users and big downtimes even in low traffic times are unacceptable.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.