Re: Peopletools 7.62 on Oracle 8.1.7 Performance issue running PSPPYBLD.cbl

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:05:26 GMT

Winslow Chang doodled thusly:

>in Informix a little under 30 minutes. The Oracle database is
>running in RULE based mode as suggested by peoplesoft.

Bad. Should be CHOOSE.

>in less than an hour on their box....I've tried setting the optimizer
>goal to CHOOSE on the instance level and that pretty much did the
>trick BUT

Yup.

>Peoplesoft considers any type of modification to their cobol program a
>"custimization" and won't support the module thereafter...so I can't
>do that. :(

if you are setting the optimizer to CHOOSE in instance level, you are not modifying the Cobol program, so you're OK.

>changing any cobol code? IF not, has anyone any tuning tips for
>this?

no, you did well. Forget the Peoplesoft recommendation for RULE. That is for older versions, not 7.6.

Set it to CHOOSE at instance level, make sure you ANALYZE all tables and indexes when the COBOL batch is NOT running. That should fix just about most problems. If you find a few blowouts and upon analyzing the SQL involved you find that hash joins are involved and are blowing out, just disable hash joins at instance level. They have never worked well for me with Peoplesoft.

HTH Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Thu Dec 20 2001 - 06:05:26 CST