Re: why is my query editor and command line out of sync?

From: Sara <genericax_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2001 10:35:56 -0800

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0112131614.67f7588c_at_posting.google.com>...

> genericax_at_hotmail.com (Sara) wrote in message news:<776e0325.0112120707.644c6e7b_at_posting.google.com>...
> > genericax_at_hotmail.com (Sara) wrote in message news:<776e0325.0112111301.2064c5f4_at_posting.google.com>...

> > > Oh sorry I forgot to mention I'm editing with vi, and I have no login.sql files...
> >

> > Oops sorry Im running Oracle 8i on a Sun Sparc running SunOs 5.8...
>
> Hmmmm... Do you have a journaling filesystem? How about a glogin.sql
> in the $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin directory? Ron was right about the
> owner of afiedt.buf, guess I'm too used to logging in as oracle :-)
> Also, do you have an .exrc file? I can vaguely imagine someone
> somehow messed with that or aliased vi or something for versioning
> purposes... is there anything with a name similar to afiedt.buf;1?
> (I've seen ex-VMS people love stuff like that). Are you in an nfs
> directory? Which shell?
>
> jg

Ahh so many questions, but first, The Tranya! Ha.. Thanks for taking an interest in this problem, it really is quite vexing!

I don't think we have a journaling FS.

There is no .exrc file. Were not in an nfs dir- just a plain old SunOS FS.. I run either in csh or bash (either one misbehaves equally)..

There is a
ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin/glogin.sql file :

--
--  Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1988, 1999.  All Rights Reserved.
--

-- Used by Trusted Oracle
column ROWLABEL format A15

-- Used for the SHOW ERRORS command
column LINE/COL format A8
column ERROR    format A65  WORD_WRAPPED

-- Used for the SHOW SGA command
column name_col_plus_show_sga format a24

-- Defaults for SHOW PARAMETERS
column name_col_plus_show_param format a36 heading NAME
column value_col_plus_show_param format a30 heading VALUE

-- For backward compatibility
set pagesize 14

-- Defaults for SET AUTOTRACE EXPLAIN report
column id_plus_exp format 990 heading i
column parent_id_plus_exp format 990 heading p
column plan_plus_exp format a60
column object_node_plus_exp format a8
column other_tag_plus_exp format a29
column other_plus_exp format a44

I guess it looks pretty ordinary?

By the way- now the edit IS WORKING.. I don't know if our admin
changed something, or maybe Im in another dir and its OK there? Oh
well when it breaks again I'll revisit all of the items you listed for
clues..

Thanks, and Happy Holidays...
GX