Re: Should I use public rollback segments?

From: John Darrah <jdarrah_at_veripost.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 23:47:23 +0000 (UTC)

My understanding of this is that public rollback segments only really come into play with OPS environments. If your not using OPS its a moot point since only one instance can connect to a database and thus only instance will use the rollback segments regardless of whether or not they are public or private. As far as corruption goes, you're in a bad situation if your rollback segments get corrupted regardless of whether or not they are public or private. The database is not going to allow you to open the db if there are pending transactions in a corrupt rollback segment; you must recover the rollback segment first. If you are using OPS, my personal bias is towards private rollback segments because it gives the DBA more control over what instance get what rollback segment. The DBCA should have an option to create scripts instead of actually creating the instance. Use this option and edit the part of the script that creates the rollback segments or let the DBCA create the database and then go in and drop / recreate the rollback segements by hand.

--
Posted from d225s244.hotbank.com [63.83.225.244]