Re: hot backup question

From: koert54 <koert54_at_nospam.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:10:23 GMT

>True cloning requires a closed database backup that includes
> the online redo logs.

sorry Howard - you even do not *need* the online redolog files for cloning a database using closed database backup IF the DB was shutdowned WITH a checkpoint (so shutdown whatever except ABORT). That way you can restore without online redologs and open the DB with 'resetlogs' without losing any data/transaction. A checkpoint happened during
shutdown so no need for redologs :-)
I believe this is even mentioned in the Oracle docs.

cheers