Re: hot backup question

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 06:04:42 +1100

Perfectly reasonable question, actually!

Because you are missing the current redo log, you are already talking about an incomplete recovery. All incomplete recoveries require you to finish off with an 'alter database open resetlogs'. The 'resetlogs' option will create any missing redo logs for you, so you will have an openable database at the end of it. It's actually the same sort of thing you do on production systems when you lose all members of the current redo log group. (Then you go and jump in a lake somewhere for putting yourself in a position of vulnerability like that!).

However, naturally, you'll have lost whatever transactions were involved in that last dollop of redo, so your new database will not be an exact clone of the old one. True cloning requires a closed database backup that includes the online redo logs.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com