Re: OPS 9i & SUN cluster 2.2

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:05:04 -0800

From what I understand, RAC (as opposed to OPS) is not going to be supported on Sun Cluster 2.2. It is supported on Sun Cluster 3.0, as is OPS. However, there are a couple of limitations here.

Firstly, there is a limitation on Sun Cluster 3.0/RAC due to the implementation of SCSI 3 Persistent Group Reservation (PGR) in the storage subsystem. SC 3.0 uses PGR for quorum management for more than 2 nodes. SCSI 2 Reserve is used by SC 2.2 and 3.0 for 2 node clusters. SC 2.2 uses a terminal concentrator for greater than 2 nodes. What this means is that RAC on Sun CLuster 3.0 is only supported for 2 nodes due to an OS restriction. Check with Sun to see if this limitation has been removed.

Secondly, the Global File Service in Sun Cluster 3.0 is not supported for database files. I think this is because we found it was just too slow and was causing performance bottlenecks, but I could be wrong on that.

--
HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete
Author of "Oracle8i: Architecture and Administration Exam Cram"
Currently writing the "Oracle9i New Features for Administrators Exam Cram"

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA