Re: SELECT - parenthesis ignored by Oracle ???

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 10:04:46 GMT

If you don't want columns concatenated, as suggested in other replies, you could use

AND NOT (PERIOD = 10 AND YEAR = 2001) the form that most literally follows your specifications, which rewrites to

AND (PERIOD <> 10 OR YEAR <> 2001)

Which says: as long as PERIOD <> 10 or YEAR <> 2001, because you want to exclude the situation where both PERIOD = 10 and YEAR = 2001.

Jaap.