Re: Autostart service / instance on NT

From: TurkBear <jgreco1_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:24:07 -0600

"Elton Saulsberry" <see_message_body_at_devnull.net> wrote:

>> 1. The oradim log in %ORACLE_HOME%\dbs (I think it is dbs).
>> 2. The registry settings for this instance to perform auto startup
>> (while you check this out, you should also look at the shutdown
>> entries).
>I'd like to know more about the registry entries. I didn't see much in the
>documentation about them. Can you point me to a particular doc?
>
>On my home installation (8.1.6.0), I have a
>\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0\ORA_sid_AUTOSTART value TRUE. The
>service in the NT services dialog is set to manual startup. (That's what I
>want, it's an occasional use dev db.) Seems strange....
>
>On the client machine I looked in the same place in the registry but saw
>none of the ORA_sid_AUTOSTART, SHUTDOWN, etc keys at all.
>
>Thanks,
>Elton

Two different things..
The NT Service ( your manual one) controls the loading/running of Oracle.exe (and other things)( the underlying Oracle programs that ALLOW an instance to be started) - The Registry entry controls the behavior of the instance ( identified by the _sid_ in the name) when the NT service( the one in the Services list ) starts ..AUTO in this case means an automatic startup of the database instance...Like issuing a 'startup pfile=whatever.ora' from SvrMgrl or SqlPlus...

Clients usually do not have these registry entries since they are Server-centric...