Re: logging into GUI version of SQL*PLUS

From: Rolf Unger <rolf.unger_at_ctilabs.de>
Date: 13 Dec 2001 10:07:03 -0800

mitra_at_entelagent.com (mitra fathollahi) wrote in message news:<64b67b5f.0112121752.12949e04_at_posting.google.com>...
> I logged into SQL PLUS successfully by entering username/password:
> system/manager and the correct host string in SQL*PLUS logon dialog

                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> box. After i was connected to my database, i decided to log into my
> database as a different User. I used the CONNECT command and entered a
> different user-name, password. SQL PlUS gives me ERROR: ORA-01017:
> invalid username/password; logon denied. However, I could logon to SQL
> PLUS with the same username/password if i had first connect to SQL
> PLUS and entered the exact same username/password in SQL*PLUS logon
> dialog box. I don't understand why it should be any different! I
> appreciate if someone could explain to me why i cannot connect as my
> other User after i am logon to SQL*PLUS.
> Thanks
> Mitra

You're actually not doing the same in the login dialog and with the connect command. I know it's kind of stupid, but whenever oracle asks you for the username it really wants username and host string. So what you should do is:

SQL> connect user/password_at_hoststring

or if you want to avoid literal passwords on your screen:

SQL> connect user_at_hoststring

SQL*Plus will then prompt you for the password ...

The literal password works under any circumstances in my case, while the hidden password method sometimes fails. No clue why ??

I might be wrong, but I remember that you can ommit the host_string in the rare case, when you are on the computer that runs the database service and if you have setup a default instance with SID ORCL.

By the way, this relates only to WinNT. For UNIXes you probably have to set some environment variables. But I guess as you're talking about GUI SQL-Plus you are using NT.

Hope this helps,

Rolf. Received on Thu Dec 13 2001 - 12:07:03 CST