Export failure with

From: Ray Teale <ray_at_REMOVETOREPLYholly.com.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:15:50 +1100

Hi All,

I was trying to do a full database export (Version 8.1.6.0.0 on Sun Sparc) of a fairly small database but got the following error message:

. exporting referential integrity constraints . exporting synonyms
EXP-00008: ORACLE error 4031 encountered ORA-04031: unable to allocate 4032 bytes of shared memory ("shared pool","oracle/aurora/rdbms/DbmsJavaSYS","joxlod: in ehe","ioc_allocate_pal") EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully

.. after all the database users and tables had been exported, just at the time the system was ". exporting synonyms."

Well I thought this was a bit strange for such a small database but I doubled the shared_pool_size, bounced the database and tried again. Same problem - it failed at the same spot.
So I tried again - this time the shared pool was 15 times the original size but still the export failed at the same spot.

So I checked the synonyms and found there are nearly 10000, most owned by PUBLIC and pointing to tables in SYS, and none created by me for my application.
Couple of questions:
1. What are synonyms in the following format for (examples chosen at random below) and do I need them (there are lots) :

SYNONYM_NAME                             TABLE_NAME
------------------------------                 -----------------------------
-

/10076b23_OraCustomDatumClosur /10076b23_OraCustomDatumClosur
/10322588_HandlerRegistryHelpe /10322588_HandlerRegistryHelpe
/10739900_GenericURLDirContext /10739900_GenericURLDirContext
/1079c94d_NumberConstantData /1079c94d_NumberConstantData
java/security/KeyPairGenerator java/security/KeyPairGenerator java/security/MessageDigest java/security/MessageDigest

2. Would exporting synonyms really put that much of a strain on the shared pool? Why?

OK .. so that was about four questions..

Kindest Regards (and apologies for any formatting issues.)

Ray Teale Received on Thu Dec 13 2001 - 23:15:50 CST