Re: Autostart service / instance on NT

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:05:18 +1100

Well, if you've set the thing to autostart with oradim (and confirmed it by looking at the Control Panel services applet), and it then simply refuses to restart, you have to wonder whether something is happening to prevent it from restarting automatically.

Things like: is the pfile where you state it is (d:\thepath\initorcl.ora). Is the internal password really 'oracle' (and if so, why on Earth is that so!!?).

Then maybe there are memory or permissions issues to be addressed. The good old alert log is the place to start. Check out the last few entries there immediately after reboot, and tell us what is says (if anything). Found in whereever the pfile's background_dump_dest paramater is pointing, this file is pretty important, so get used to looking at it often.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com