Re: Weird Problem with Net8 connecting to Oracle Server

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:31:35 +1100

Kurt, I see others have already responded, but I'd merely point out that I have yet to meet an environment variable in NT/W2K that could not be set as either/or/both an environment variable *and* a registry key. ORACLE_SID is just the same.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am trying to connect to an Oracle Database on a UNIX server from my PC
> > I have Installed Net8 on my PC (Windows 2000) and I can set up my
Connection
> > fine with the "Net8 Configuration Assistant" and I can run the
Connection
> > Test Successfully, however I can't connect with SQLPlus,
> > The same happens with TOAD and I get the following error:
> >
> > ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
> > Details:
> > *** First assume we have a valid install and registry
> > ***
> > Oracle home is set to C:\oracle\ora81
> > Bin path is set to C:\oracle\ora81\bin\
> > oci.dll found
> > Using: C:\ORACLE\ORA81\BIN\oci.dll
> >
> > 2) Oracle Home Key is SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0
> > Looking for TNS_ADMIN environmental variable
> > TNS_ADMIN environmental variable doesnt exist,
> > looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key using home key: >SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0<
> > TNS_ADMIN does not exist in SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0
> > looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key in \Oracle: >SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0<
> > Looking for OracleHomeKey\ORACLE_HOME
> > Oracle Path is now C:\oracle\ora81\Network\Admin
> > Looking for C:\oracle\ora81\Network\Admin\tnsnames.ora
> > tnsnames.ora found
> > tnsnames entry: LEWISP - LEWIS HOTEL
> >

> > So, it uses the Correct tnsnames.ora file
> > One of the other guys here has installed Net8 and connects with no
Problems
> > and he has the same tnsname.ora !!!
> >
> > Also, if I go back into "Net8 Configuration Assistant" and select "Test
> > Connection" it works fine !!!
> >
> > Also, TNSPing cannot Ping the server - it as if it's not finding
> > tnsnames.ora
> >
> > My tnsnames.ora is:
> > # TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File:
> > C:\oracle\ora81\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
> > # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
> >
> > LEWIS PRODCTION DATABASE LEWIS HOTEL =
> > (DESCRIPTION =
> > (ADDRESS_LIST =
> > (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =