Re: partitioned table advice

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 01:11:48 GMT

You don't have that much data. You have about 70,000 rows. One thing puzzles me though. You say you do a select distinct on the primary key and get the results below. A primary key by definition is unique so how can you have repeats? I think you mean that in a particular column that is used in the where clause a lot you have the following distribution...

Try adding an index on the column and compressing the index. That will make the index rather small and might help.

You could do some empirical testing using tkprof and see what gives you better results.

(one thing to do is upgrade to a supported version, I don't think 8.05 is supported any more.)
Jim