Re: ORA-04030

From: Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 22:03:09 GMT

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 20:52:07 +0100, Sybrand Bakker <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:47:09 GMT, Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow (Ed
>Stevens) wrote:
>
>>Platform: Oracle 8.0.5, NT 4, sp6, 4 processors, 4gb total RAM
>>
>>ORA-04030 out of process memory when trying to allocate num bytes str,str
>>
>>Cause: Operating system process private memory has been exhausted.
>>Action: See the database administrator or operating system administrator to
>>increase process memory quota. There may be a bug in the application that causes
>>excessive allocations of process memory space.
>>
>>Well, I've read the message documentation, but still don't know what it means.
>

>IIRC the message deals with not being able to extend the sessions PGA.
>So this might be quota, you might also just have been running out of
>virtual memory.
>
>Hth
>
>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
>To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

Turns out this was one of those rare instances when I should have gone to MetaLink first. A search on the error number turned up a number of hits in the fourms, referencing "known bugs" dealing with memory leaks. The only consistant response from the various Oracle techs manning the forum is "it should be fixed in 9i."

We were able to get past it by reducing the sort_area_size and sort_area_retained_size.

Thanks.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)