Re: Oracle8i, Win98 -> No way to install

From: Sybrand Bakker <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 17:17:42 +0100

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:02:43 +0100, "Opi" <opi_at_volny.cz> wrote:

>Thanks. I found a lot of advices, but none of them includes a valid path to
>the patch. Where is it to be found?
>And furher, I had a look at
>http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/nt_817_installguide
>/start/ch1.htm#1338318
>And there I found that Oracle8i server can't be run on Win98. Is that true?
>If so, I really wonder what damn version I have found.
>Whose was that idea to use java for installer. Java was intended to control
>the microwave oven, not to install databases. Ondra

Two solutions below with 1 one search request at google

Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) for RDBMS 8.1.x Hangs on Machines with Pentium 4 Processors

Versions Affected

Oracle Universal Installer for RDBMS 8.1.x

Platforms Affected

Any platform that uses the Intel Pentium 4 processor, with the Sun JRE and Symmantec JIT will encounter this problem. Windows NT, Windows 2000 and NetWare platforms are confirmed to be affected.

Description

When installing Oracle *8.1.x Server Products with the Oracle Universal Installer on machines that use the Sun JRE and Symmantec JIT, the
installer
hangs.

Specifically for the Windows platform, versions of OUI lower than 1.7.1.9.0 will encounter this problem.

Likelihood of Occurrence

Any platform that uses the Intel Pentium 4 processor, with the Sun JRE and Symmantec JIT, OUI version 1.7.1.9.0 and earlier, will encounter this problem.

Windows NT, Windows 2000 and NetWare platforms are confirmed to be affected.

Possible Symptoms

The failure typically is that the affected application simply terminates.

Workarounds

Solution 1.
  1. Obtain patch number 1507768 from Metalink
  2. unzip the patch
  3. unjar the contents
  4. Go to the directory

.\cd\Disk1\stage\Components\oracle.swd.jre\1.1.7.30/1\DataFiles\Expan

               ded\jre\win32\bin\symcjit.dll

       rename symcjit.dll to symcjit.dll.ori

5. Invoke OUI and install OUI to disk

      cd ./cd/Disk1/stage/win32/setup.exe

6. Use the installed OUI to install the RDBMS

7. Invoke OUI from the start menu, and install RDBMS software.

Solution 2.

  1. Create a temporary directory on your server.
  2. Copy the contents of the Oracle REBMS Server CD to the temporary directory created in step 1.
  3. Search the directory structure created in step 1 for the existence of the filename symcjit.dll.
  4. Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old.
  5. Run the setup.exe from the \install\win32 directory and install Oracle 8.1.x.

Patches

Currently there is not a patched installer available to deal with this problem, one of the two workarounds listed above must be used.