Re: How can I troubleshoot without informations ?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:08:44 GMT

Just because the box has 2 gigs of ram doesn't mean that all that RAM is available to Oracle. Also I don't think that unless you have the enterprise version of NT (or whatever it is called) you can actually use all that RAM for 1 program.

In these "fuzzy situations", that is situations where you don't control what is going on you have to be skeptical about what people are telling you. I have found that people (especially technical people vs non-computer people ) have a tendency to "filter out" what you are telling them. They will assume things and so forth because they don't believe that the problem lies in such and such a place. (It may not, but you need to test it to make sure it does not.)

So I really would try what I suggest. Why? It is simple. It is non-destructive (shouldn't hurt anything). If what I suggest does not change anything you learn something from the fact that you tried it. If it does work then you have learned something.

Basically, I am skeptical that you are not running out of memory. I think you are or that you have reached a limit on the number of threads per process - there is one for NT.(each dedicated server process on NT is actually a thread not a separate program) It is not unusual for each dedicated server process to use 1 meg of ram not including sort area size so 800 connections would mean 800 megs + 500 for everything else means 1.3 gigs. Which is a lot of RAM.

So I think you have two possibilities

1. Running out of RAM
2. Running out of number of threads per process allowed under NT.
3. Some combination of 1 and 2.

You need to test these theories and see if they are true or false. (don't guess or assume, actually test them) In either event (if they are true or false ) you will have learned some valuable information.

Jim

> > It looks like you are using 235 Megs for the db block buffers (4096 *
60,000
> > /(1024*1024)) and 25 megs for SGA which used to be 30 megs. Also if
> > everyone is sorting at the same time you would have just under 200 megs
> > allocated to sorting. (800 * 258048/(1024*1024)) To me that adds up to
> > 235+30+200=465 say 500 megs of RAM being used by Oracle not counting the
RAM