Re: How can I troubleshoot without informations ?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 11 Dec 2001 23:13:09 -0800

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:<0%rR7.8104$7y.73552_at_rwcrnsc54>...
> It looks like you are using 235 Megs for the db block buffers (4096 * 60,000
> /(1024*1024)) and 25 megs for SGA which used to be 30 megs. Also if
> everyone is sorting at the same time you would have just under 200 megs
> allocated to sorting. (800 * 258048/(1024*1024)) To me that adds up to
> 235+30+200=465 say 500 megs of RAM being used by Oracle not counting the RAM
> allocated for each thread for other than sorting.

Yes, that's true, but this box has two gigs of physical memory so there should be still free memory left.

> They should be able to run perfmon on the NT box and monitor, free memory, %
> swap file usage. This should show how much memory is available. I would
> not decrease the SGA (25 megs is pretty small) Put it back to 30 megs and
> decrease the db_block_buffers by 35 megs. (51200).

I believe that they can read a numbers from NT memory usage, so I think (better word is hope) that free memory is available.

> Yes, and move the control files to seperate disks as you pointed out.

It looks like there is no separate disk, just one big RAID5 set. That's stupid, but true. This is just some "small" server (just put here what doesn't fit anywhere), which grow too much. :-(

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.