Re: Oracle8i (8.1.6) Backup and Recovery Questions

From: Sean Fitzgerald <sfitzgerald_at_centurytel.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:20:07 -0800

comments embedded:

"Alex Stankevich" <alex.stankevich_at_redshift-tech.com> wrote in message news:e8199f5.0112111613.76a1dafb_at_posting.google.com...
> Oracle8i (8.1.6) Backup and Recovery Questions
>
> Here is the situation that I need to address:
>
> All the disks on my server machine are fried and all data is lost. I
> need to restore the machine and Oracle. I do a weekly cold backup of
> Oracle running in ARCHIVELOG mode.
>
> I restore the machine by first restoring a low level disk image of the
> machine just before it went to production (with Oracle already
> installed and setup).
>
> Then to restore Oracle to a recent state, I take the latest cold
> backup of oracle and restore all of its files: control files, data
> files and online redo files.
>
> Then I start Oracle normally: SVRMGRL> startup.
>
> Q1: Would this procedure correctly restore Oracle to a state of the
> cold backup?

    If what you want is to have the database be at a point of the cold backup, then this is ok.

> The oracle Backup and Recovery Guide recommends that during a cold
> backup restore, the online redo logs are not to be restored (p. 3-10).
> However, if I restore them, the database starts up without any errors.
>
> Q2: Does restoring the online redo logs have any adverse effects?

    Normally, you don't want to have to restore the online logs or the control files (this is

    why both should be multiplexed on separate disks / controllers). Without current on-line

    logs, you can't perform a complete recovery. Again, if you only want the database to be

    at the point of the cold backup, then you can restore everything.

> Q3: Do I need to clear out the archived redo log directory prior to
> doing this cold backup restore?

    Yes, since oracle will generate new archive logs from the point of the cold backup. Your

    post indicates you lost all your disks, so I assume that means you lost any archive logs on disk.

    If you haven't lost all your disk, are you sure you don't have good on-line logs, control files and archive logs?

    If you have these you can recover completely.

> Q4: After a cold backup restore, is it necessary to start the database
> with RESETLOGS?

    No, it is necessary when you restore using a backup controlfile. In this case, you are restoring

    all files as of the cold backup, so the control file is consistent with all the other files.