Oracle8i (8.1.6) Backup and Recovery Questions

From: Alex Stankevich <alex.stankevich_at_redshift-tech.com>
Date: 11 Dec 2001 16:13:48 -0800

Oracle8i (8.1.6) Backup and Recovery Questions

Here is the situation that I need to address:

All the disks on my server machine are fried and all data is lost. I need to restore the machine and Oracle. I do a weekly cold backup of Oracle running in ARCHIVELOG mode.

I restore the machine by first restoring a low level disk image of the machine just before it went to production (with Oracle already installed and setup).

Then to restore Oracle to a recent state, I take the latest cold backup of oracle and restore all of its files: control files, data files and online redo files.

Then I start Oracle normally: SVRMGRL> startup.

Q1: Would this procedure correctly restore Oracle to a state of the cold backup?

The oracle Backup and Recovery Guide recommends that during a cold backup restore, the online redo logs are not to be restored (p. 3-10). However, if I restore them, the database starts up without any errors.

Q2: Does restoring the online redo logs have any adverse effects?

Q3: Do I need to clear out the archived redo log directory prior to doing this cold backup restore?

Q4: After a cold backup restore, is it necessary to start the database with RESETLOGS?

Thanks,
Alex. Received on Tue Dec 11 2001 - 18:13:48 CST