Re: CLOBS in ora 8.1.7

From: Lee Horowitz <lee_at_jamtoday.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:58:39 -0500

I managed to get hold of the article, but no joy. There's lots of information about how to use dbms_lob.read and dbms_lob.substr to get chunks of the CLOB into a varchar2, but nothing at all about why the resulting varchar2 has two byte characters instead of the expected UTF variable length characters nor why when selecting the clob directly from sql plus (which treats the CLOB as a "long") we can see the proper characters, but when we dbms_output.put_line( a buffer read with dbms_read) or simply select dbms_lob.substr( the clob, some lenght, some offset)
we get strange looking characters, and certainly nothing about how to translate (convert?) the double length characters to the desired readable target.

We know that the data is in the database and the transforation exists, because sql plus does it without any special fuss.

Any clues greatlfully accepted, and thanx again for your interest.