Hardware Requirements - Oracle DB

From: Brendt Hess <bhess_at_rsmedical.com>
Date: 11 Dec 2001 14:31:32 -0800

We are looking at migrating our current applications, which are based on a Btrieve / Pervasive transactional DB, to an Oracle or SQL Server environment. Currently, our DB access speed is fine, but since the access method is proprietary, our capability for migration to other DB back ends if needed for future growth is somewhat limited.

Right now, I'm looking for some educated guesstimates - what sort of hardware would you put in place to support a system with these requirements:

150 users now, up to 300 users in the next few years DB size - 10 Gb now, up to 30Gb projected in 5 years

Current / Projected usage: The program set supported is primarily an Order / Inventory / Billing system, developed in house. There are three primary programs (Order Entry / Edit / Interactive Lookup, Inventory, A/R Entry/Update), with a large number of subsidiary non-interactive reports (everything from a Commission system to daily backlogs - you know the drill).

We would like to have the interactive programs responsive even if there are some larger reports or other data manipulation activities running against the server.

If this was being put into place, what sort of H/W requirements would you project for the DB Server?

Brendt Received on Tue Dec 11 2001 - 16:31:32 CST