lob storage and extent resizing

From: Schmoltzie <schmoltzie_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Dec 2001 11:48:12 -0800

Hello all,

I inherited an Oracle 8i db that has poorly sized extents. One of the tables, with lob storage, ran out of extents. As a temporary fix I increased the max extents from 200 to 400. My current extents sit at 216 for this table.

This lob storage is on the same tablespace as the rest of my segments which have an average segment size of 500k. The tablespace has 128k extents, the table has 64k extents, and the lob has 80k extents. My average segment size on the lob storage is 30m.

Obviously I need to resize, but I'm a newbie at this so I was hoping for some advice on resizing based on the following questions .....

Should the tablespace extent, table extent, lob extent sizes be the same as each other?

Should there be one extent per tablespace or 1 extent per segment.

What is the signifigance of chunksize with lobs?

Whould anyone recommend locally managed tablespaces?

Should you put lobs on seperate tablespaces?

Can you place lob indexes on a tablespace other than the one that holds the lobs?

Lastly, how do you resize this table without losing data. Truncate? Delete? Export/Import? ??????

Thanks for your time,

Chris Davis Received on Tue Dec 11 2001 - 13:48:12 CST