Re: Oracle Not starting for few minutes..

From: Sybrand Bakker <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:10:08 +0100

On 11 Dec 2001 04:45:40 -0800, pgaur007_at_indiatimes.com (Praveen Gaur) wrote:

>Hello,
> Version=7.3.4 on WinNT-4.0
>Problem Statement
>-----------------
>ORACLE 7.3.4 installed on the machine M2 in E: drive.
>Already havnig a DB on seperate machine M1 in C: drive.
>Wish to move the DB from M1 to M2.
>Steps followed :
>1. Shutdown all the Oracle services on M1 and M2.
>2. Create a directory C:\ORANT on M2 and copy E:\ORANT\Database in
>C:\ORANT
>3. Start OracleService<sid> through Services.
>4. Login to SVRMGR and connect internal.
>5. 'startup mount' the Oracle.
>6. issue following commands
> alter database rename file 'e:\orant\database\log1orcl.ora' to
>'c:\orant\database\log1orcl.ora'
>
> and similar commands to more rest of REDO, SYSTEm, TEMP, RBS etc
>in to C:
>This will mark the Oracle DB in E: to make the files be present in C:
>(at this poing, initORCL.ora also modified for Control files paths to
>be taken from C:)
>7. Shutdown
>8. startup
>9 through Schema Manager of OEM, saw the path of files, now in C:
>10. shutdown
>11. login to SVRMGR and connect internal, startup mount.
>12. Copy C:\orant\database folder of M1 in C:\orant\database of M2 and
>in E:\orant\database of M2 also.
>(note that internal passwd on both systems were identical).
>13. startup
> Everything OK and new db is now viewable.(DB transfer done, but
>files in C: not in E:)
>14. shutdown.
>15. connect internal and 'startup mount'.
>16 rename datafiles from C: to E:
>17. startup
> again everything normal and new DB can be seen, with logfile paths
>in E:
>
>BUT NOW COMES THE PROBLEM.
>
>Rebooted the machine.
>ORACLE didn't come up till almost 10 minutes. but after 10 mintues,
>everything is OK.
>NT- service DATABASE remain locked during that period.
>a process ORADIM73.exe remained running during this time.
>
>Why SO MUCH OF DELAY IS THERE???
>
>NOTE : No such delay on M1 was there.
>
>Can somebody help out? or give reasoning for it!!
>

>Thanx in advance.

You didn't follow the published procedures to clone/copy a database, which involve *recreating* the controlfile. Now the instance is probably thinking it needs to recover. You simply copied the database over which is just asking for trouble.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Dec 11 2001 - 13:10:08 CST