Re: Oracle 9i AS installation on SuSE Linux 7.1 Professional

From: TurkBear <jgreco1_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:25:02 -0600

From Metalink:

Problem Description:

You receive the error:

  ORA-01041 : internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist.

What does it actually mean?

What is the hostdef extension?

Solution Description:

The hostdef extension referred to is a structure which was added to the control structure for the client/server communication.

It is accessed via a pointer in the original structure. When the communication between the client and the server goes awry, this can result in ORA-1041 and ORA-3113 errors.

The ORA-1041 is flagged when the POINTER to the EXTENSION structure for the HOST DEFinition (for the communication channel between the client and the server) has been nulled. This can occur when the connection gets lost 'for some reason' and hence the procedure to investigate is the same as for ORA-3113.

Explanation:

The hostdef extension refers to the structures used to maintain the client/server communication channel.