Re: Do I really need more than 1 rollback segment?

From: andrew_webby at hotmail <andrew_webby_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Dec 2001 04:38:52 -0800

Just as a 'further', I knew I'd picked up that "rule of thumb" somewhere and as in my previous post, it was when I posted my statspack report some time back.

From Johnathan Lewis:

"As already appreciate, your rollback segments seem to be much too big for activity shown, and the optimal is too high - little known rule of thumb, rollback segments should be as small and as few as possible to reduce redundant I/O. In your case the size of the rollbacks doesn't seem to have resulted in any significant I/O cost."

I'm sure his meaning was not to set them incredibly small as I appeared to be suggesting, but more to size them appropriately. Comments appreciated.

Andrew