Re: Weird Problem with Net8 connecting to Oracle Server

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 06:59:07 +1100

Excuse me leaping in, but...

If it works from 'test connection', then good... I'd hazard a guess that the Net8 Assistant is writing out a perfectly valid tnsnames.ora.

But then I'm wondering which one you are using when you then try and connect via sqlplus? Are you sure that there isn't another tnsnames.ora lurking somewhere it shouldn't be?

Of course, everything should be sitting in ORACLE_HOME/network/admin... but there is also a TNS_ADMIN environment variable you can set to change that, so I wonder if that has been set, and is therefore pointing at an old tnsnames file that is never being altered by the Net8 Assistant.

Just a thought.
Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com