Re: Weird Problem with Net8 connecting to Oracle Server

From: Kurt Sun <sunk_at_focushope.edu>
Date: 10 Dec 2001 12:03:15 -0800

"Martin Stephenson" <martinstephenson_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<9v23oc$kct$1_at_newstoo.ericsson.se>...
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to connect to an Oracle Database on a UNIX server from my PC
> I have Installed Net8 on my PC (Windows 2000) and I can set up my Connection
> fine with the "Net8 Configuration Assistant" and I can run the Connection
> Test Successfully, however I can't connect with SQLPlus,
> The same happens with TOAD and I get the following error:
>
> ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
> Details:
> *** First assume we have a valid install and registry
> ***
> Oracle home is set to C:\oracle\ora81
> Bin path is set to C:\oracle\ora81\bin\
> oci.dll found
> Using: C:\ORACLE\ORA81\BIN\oci.dll
>
> 2) Oracle Home Key is SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0
> Looking for TNS_ADMIN environmental variable
> TNS_ADMIN environmental variable doesnt exist,
> looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key using home key: >SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0<
> TNS_ADMIN does not exist in SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0
> looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key in \Oracle: >SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0<
> Looking for OracleHomeKey\ORACLE_HOME
> Oracle Path is now C:\oracle\ora81\Network\Admin
> Looking for C:\oracle\ora81\Network\Admin\tnsnames.ora
> tnsnames.ora found
> tnsnames entry: LEWISP - LEWIS HOTEL
>

> So, it uses the Correct tnsnames.ora file
> One of the other guys here has installed Net8 and connects with no Problems
> and he has the same tnsname.ora !!!
>
> Also, if I go back into "Net8 Configuration Assistant" and select "Test
> Connection" it works fine !!!
>
> Also, TNSPing cannot Ping the server - it as if it's not finding
> tnsnames.ora
>
> My tnsnames.ora is:
> ==============
> # TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File:
> C:\oracle\ora81\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
> # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
>
> LEWIS PRODCTION DATABASE LEWIS HOTEL =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = brprdora.al.sw.ericsson.se)(PORT =
> 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SID = lewisp)
> )
> )
>
> my sqlnet.ora is:
> ===========
> # SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File:
> C:\oracle\ora81\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
> # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
>
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
>
> NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)
>

> Any help would be great !!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin.

Do you have $OH\net80\admin dir? If yes what's in it?(you said you installed
net8 so you should have this dir, copy the tnsnames.ora to there and try)
Sounds like you have both sqlnet and net8 installed. Don't know about 2000 but with nt tns_admin is os system env variable, not a reg key.

HTH, Kurt. Received on Mon Dec 10 2001 - 14:03:15 CST