Mapping between System Privileges and PL/SQL Commands?

From: Lawrence Ho <cssnho_at_netvigator.com>
Date: 10 Dec 2001 06:54:13 -0800

Hi all,

  I'm a beginner to use System Privileges.

  Recently, I'm doing research on Oracle Securities. I'm investigating which system privileges are most dangerous that they can't be granted to those who will/may destroy Production Data.

  However, from another point of view, in real life, DBA always will grant some rights to someone who want to use some specific commands. Here, I have a question:

  If a system privilege, called "Privilege X", includes usage of
"Command A", "Command B" and "Command C", and a user request to use
"Command A", does DBA grant "Privilege X" to the user? If so, then
does it imply the user can use "Command B" and "Command C" also? However, DBA doesn't intend to do so, how can DBA solve such problem? Can anyone give me advices?

  Or, May I ask in this way.... that does there exist any mappings between all System Privileges and All PL/SQL Commands? Moreover, does there exist any meaningful description/usage description for ALL system privileges?

  FYI: I have studied Oracle 8i Complete Reference, SQL Reference and Administrative Guide. The Administrative Guide states that "For a complete list/description of system privileges, see the Oracle8i SQL Reference". However, I found that it's NOT COMPLETE. E.g. I can't find the usage of "READUP HIGH"/"WRITE DOWN HIGH" system privileges. In addition, I have studied a book for DBA Exam which also hasn't stated for what I concern.

  Would you give me any advices? or discuss?

  I'm looking forward to your experienced advices. :>

Lawrence Received on Mon Dec 10 2001 - 08:54:13 CST