Re: PLSQL question

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:49:13 +0300

This little SQL*Plus script may come handy in this situation:

rem VALCONN.SQL - Validate login/password_at_instance rem
rem to use:
rem
rem if the exit code is NOT 0, then the connection was NOT successful

set verify off feedback off termout off
whenever oserror exit 9
whenever sqlerror exit sql.sqlcode
set define '$'
connect $1/$2@$3
exit

just call this in your shell script to verify that connection parameters are valid and evaluate the exit code before doing anything else in the script. It will silently try to connect to the db and return non-zero exit code on any error.